Pack a Picnic Lunch
Everyone loves a picnic! Picnics make any day special. Pack a small cooler or lunch totes with ice, food and drinks and off you go! Ride your bike on the trails, walk to the park, enjoy a shore lunch, or drive to a National Park and celebrate Canada’s 150th Birthday with a good old fashioned picnic!
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 5 or 6 large lemons)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup of water
Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil and then let simmer about 10 minutes. Then add lemon juice and stir. Let mixture cool on stove and then refrigerate. Pour lemonade into a large thermos bottle and pack some paper cups and straws.
Greek Salad Pitas
Wash and tear one head of lettuce, wrap in a dry tea towel and place in a large plastic container. Refrigerate until needed.
In a small bowl with a plastic lid, add:
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard and stir
- Add in ¼ cup green or black olives (your preference)
- And 1/3 cup crumbled non-dairy feta OR 1/3 cup TOFUTTI® SOUR SUPREME® and stir
- Add 2 tsp fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary and 1 tsp dried oregano and stir
Let dressing sit in the fridge so flavours meld together.
To serve, cook fresh boneless chicken breasts ahead of time on the grill, or grill at the picnic site until well cooked. Place the lettuce and chicken on pitas (pitas can be warmed slightly on the BBQ) and top with the salad dressing mixture and serve.